In Search of the Perfect Crochet Hook Case

I have been searching for the perfect crochet hook case for awhile. One that is durable, easily transportable, and holds the hooks in place but is not too cumbersome when looking to grab a hook quickly.

I made a case off of this pattern a few years ago with acrylic yarn.
It held up nicely but I found the flaps over the top and bottom to be too bulky when the case was rolled up. You can't get rid of them, either, because the hooks are held in only by a row of SC's on top of the case and would easily slip out during transport if the flaps weren't there.
The pattern also uses nicer and thinner yarn than what I used, which might solve my bulky problem, but I need a case made out of acrylic yarn so it is durable over time. Also, the strings didn't hold up as well over time and eventually stretched out the side they were attached to.

Alas, I finally decided to tear out my old case (saving the yarn to upcycle into another project, of course) and make a new case.

Materials:

1 skein Red Heart Designer Sport in Cocoa (3 oz, 85 g, 279 yards)
Size E crochet hook
All the crochet hooks, double pointed needles, and sewing hooks you can store

Instructions:
After much perusing, I finally settled on this pattern and absolutely love it so far. It is easily customizable to any size case you want, whether you have a few hooks or many you want to store for safe travels. I love it so much I decided to add my double pointed needles and sewing needles to the bunch!


It rolls up easily and is not unnecessarily bulky. I used acrylic yarn so it holds the shape without any strings, which inevitably don't hold up well over time because of how thin and often-used they are. The hooks stay in place, too, because of the tight stitch pattern.