Three Years of Crocheted Halloween Costumes

For the past three years, I have crocheted different food items to wear for a Halloween costume. I decided to take on  the daunting task of designing and crocheting a costume when my husband stumbled upon the stunning designs of Joy Kampia O'Shell. She combines two of my favorite things - food and crafting - to create wearable art. I was particularly inspired by her hamburger dress.

Going off the picture alone, I re-created her design:


The body of the dress is single crochet all around, changing between a light brown for the bun and a dark brown for the burger patty. I increased and decreased stitches to make it a little form-fitting. The seeds are bits of white yarn strung over the top of one stitch and tied in the back. The cheese, onion, pickle and tomato are also single crochets to make the shape. The lettuce is made of alternating single crochets and puff stitches to give it a textured look.

Next Halloween, it was time to get really creative and come up with my own design. Drawing inspiration from delicious cupcake trucks during my summer in DC, I made this cupcake dress:



The cupcake bottom is made up of single crochet rows running vertically, alternating additional single crochet rows on top to make ridges. The cupcake top is made up of horizontal single crochet rows. There are two layers of the frosting with a little bit of cotton stuffed between to give it a puffed-out look. The ridges are single crochets on top of the work and give the look of the frosting spiral.

After two years of crocheted costumes, I planned on taking a break this year to make more practical items like blankets and hats. However, inspiration of course struck two and a half weeks before Halloween and I furiously made this number just in time:



Being a serious carnivore, I was amused by the "bacon shortage" media panic and made a bacon dress. There is white for the fat, salmon pink for the lighter meat and red for the darker meat. The dress is made up of seven individual strips of bacon sewn together while wearing it. The dress is single crochet throughout, using shorter rows in random parts to make certain parts of the bacon thicker. There are also clusters of two single crochet in one single crochet in the white to give the fat a bubbled look. This bacon dress is definitely my favorite and it will be hard to top next year!